October 27, 2008

Spiders

I have a confession to make. Ready? O-kay.

I cannot STAND spiders. I mean really and totally ewwwww! Ewwww again. At the sight of those spiney creatures, my whole body gets tingly and I get shivers down my spine.

As much as they drive me nuts, I have to smooooosh them. [Sorry for those spider lovers or the people who believe in 'catch-n-release']. If I do not go after them, I will freak out for the rest of the day, feeling like they are crawling all over me.

Unfortunately...my boys don't like spiders either (wonder where they could have got that from???)

My 8-year old is petrified of them to the point that the fear paralyzes him. If he sees a spider, he is on 'anxiety mountain' for the rest of the day.

About 6 months ago, I was soooooooo tired of his reaction over a simple spider, so I prayed out of frustration, "Lord, PLEASE let me find all spiders before he does, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!"

PRAISE REPORT: I found EVERY spider before Dylan had a chance to find it!!! Isn't God wonderful?

Ummm...one problem...I...umm...am...afraid of spiders too...

So, what is a mom to do? Oh, the agony over this simple decision.

  1. Do I suck it up, quickly and quietly get rid of the spider before he sees it, or...
  2. Do I scream, "Ahhhhh! Spider! Run for the hills. Somebody kill it. Don't let it get me!" or...
  3. Ignore it and hope I don't run into it later.

Three options, two afraid people, and one spider...

I prayed, God answered, therefore, I don't think option #2 would be good.

I could ignore it, but it could multiply, get lost, and I would run into again sometime, PLUS all its babies. So option #3 isn't for me either.

Ding! Ding! Ding! The winner is option #1: face up to my own fear to protect my child, and smoooosh the spider as bravely (and as quietly) as I can.

That is what I have done, tackle one spider at a time, all for the sake of love. The wonderful thing is that it's not as scary as the first time, and I am overcoming my fear as well.

When I see a spider, I keep my eyes on it (to make sure it doesn't run away) until I have something in my hand to 'smoooosh' it. I strategically plan my attack so that I know I will not miss it.

"SMOOOOOSH"...Gone until the next one.

I have been seeing 'spider webs' not only in my house, but also in the fruit of my family. Areas of my life and my children's life where the enemy has taken ground, and negatives have come forth as a result.

As I write about this simple spider story, God is correlating it with the negatives residing in this household, and in the lives of my children: fear, anxiety, rebellion, low self-worth, etc.

I have wiped the 'webs' away through discipline or correction, yet haven't gotten rid of the 'spider' who continuously weaved them.

God is speaking that it is time to stop ignoring this 'spider', and start strategically praying it out of the foundation of their lives, one prayer at a time.

So, spiders beware! I'm on the loose, and ready to 'smooooosh'!!!

7 comments:

Greg C said...

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting on my blog. It doesn't matter how you found it but I am glad you did. I don't like spiders either and posted about that a short while ago. I love your writing style too and like how you compared spiders to other things in life. I often use a similar writing style. I also like to mix it up with a little humor tossed in to keep everyone on their toes. I posted a humerous post today. I try not to offend anyone and hope this one doesn't do that. Please come back and visit.

Emily said...

Thank you for stopping by.

I am sure you get enough snow in your neck of the woods to hate it, but here in Tennessee, we rarely see enough to hurt anything or leave you housebound. So I get quite the thrill out of the smallest glimpse of snow!!!

Shannon said...

I hate spiders too and one time left the house because there was one by the door! I know, not very smart. :)

Kelly said...

My secret weapon is the Orkin man. I love that guy!

I loved your analogy too. Great job.

Paulette said...

Great analogy Heav... goes so well with what your going through with the boys. I'm so proud of you. Between this one and the one you posted today I have to say I'm so proud of you. Keep on Keeping on Girl.

Love ya

Paulette said...

BTW Congrats on the job!!! :)

Edie said...

LOL. I love your writing style. I'm not especially fond of spiders myself. When my daughter was little and I had to be brave and kill the spiders, I would remember how my Grandma never seemed to be scared and that would give me courage. Now I use the vacume hose. It's a fantastic weapon!

I do love your analogy too. You really are quite insightful.

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...