October 17, 2008

Counterfeit Bisquits

I made cheesy garlic bisquits from scratch last night for supper. My children loved them, and I was so proud of myself for tickling their tastebuds! In my house, we have three picky eaters, myself included, so when a meal comes and goes without any complaints, I have mastered my cooking skills.

I love to bake, but the cooking department in my life isn't so great. There are a selection of dishes that I have made my own, and people rave over; however, at the majority of our mealtimes, I am reminding my children how we need to be grateful for "mom's creative dishes" because there are children who do not have food to eat. Why is it that complaining comes natural for us, but we have to be diligent at mastering gratitude? Anyway, that could be another blog post.

My friends know my meal menus don't include much "from scratch" meals, so when I tell them I created something, they are very proud of me. As I was telling a friend about my accomplishment last night, she asked how I made them. I happily shared with her my recipe:

2 cups Bisquit mix, 2/3 cup milk, garlic powder, and shredded cheese

I think she attempted not to laugh, but it didn't work too well. She giggled as she said, "Heaven, that's not 'from scratch'. You cheated when you used the bisquit mix. You just made counterfeit bisquits silly." Bubble bursting...bubble popped...bubble gone.

Oh, how could she even say that! Of course, as I always tend to do, I started defending my recipe and stating that it, indeed, was from scratch (for me at least). She laughed some more, and then told me, "O-kay, if it makes you feel better, you just keep telling yourself that you created the real thing. Maybe your definition of "from scratch" needs re-defined."

Although our conversation was light-hearted and silly, I woke up this morning wondering what else in my life was counterfeit. Were there standards I had defined in my life to suit me or my conscience? Did I have some definitions in my life that needed re-defined? Have I "drawn the line" of my morals in the correct place, or have I been trying to re-allign it's position? So many question arose from my counterfeit bisquits.

I wonder how many times I have counterfeited my Christianity. I wonder if God has grieved over my "fakeness", when I truly believed I was living the "real thing". How often have I said Jeramiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for a hope and a future," only to go home and declare, "oooooohhhhh Lord, woe is me, why are You out to get me? Lord, nothing is going right, and life isn't fair and I'm soooooo depressed."

I don't want to forge God in my life anymore, and I am saddened by recollections of times when I have counterfeited my position as a Christian. "I'm a Christian! I believe in God! I love God with all my heart and soul! I love my neighbor as myself! etc.", yet I turn around and speak abruptly to my child.

Mark 7:8-9: You have let go of the commands of God and are holding onto the traditions of man. 9 And he said to them: You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to 'set up' your own traditions!

Heavenly Father, I don't want to be like the Hypocrites whom Mark was speaking to. I want to be the "real deal". I want to shine as one of Your children. When people look at me, I want them to see Your heart shining through me. Thank you for Your refiner's fire that continues to mold and shape me. I repent of being counterfeit, and I pray that you would sweep my heart clean of anything not of You. Show me the areas where I have set up my own set of rules, and help me to live according to Your standards. Make me an authentically beautiful daughter of God to be used for Your glory! In Jesus' name, Amen~

~Learning to be 'real'

3 comments:

Jeninlax said...

There are several definitions for things and I think everyone's is unique. You know there a few definition of my name? One: a female donkey. Two: Fresh and pure one. Three: hopefull and innocent. Don't let something as silly as a definition make you question your life under God. He made you from scratch...and added his own flavor. Your cheesy biscuits may have been "just buscuits" but you made them your own and I can understand that. I love you. Jen

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Very cool post and great things to ponder.

Though I must say, I totally believe your biscuits were from scratch. Honey, anytime there is some mixing going on, that means home-made to me!

Kimberly said...

Have mercy!!!!! Who knew that biscuits could be so convicting! I may totally avoid cooking for a while. :)

This really is great. My heart so longs to be authentic, as well. I definitely need to pray for God to show me where I have set up my own rules. I am so glad you came by my place!

Blessings, and have a great weekend!
K :)

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...