April 23, 2009

Teacher! Teacher!

"Teacher, teacher!" She exclaimed excitedly as she tried to get my attention to show me how high she could kick the ball.

Those two words have been flickering through my mind all day as I thought about the 4-year old girl who shouted them Wednesday evening at church. She doesn't call me by my name, no matter how many times people have told her my name is Miss Heaven.

She simply calls me teacher.

I looked up the word "teacher" on BibleGateway.com because her words keep echoing in my head. What I found in the New Testament references was pretty interesting!

From what I can tell, when Jesus spoke of "teachers", he spoke of the pharisees and referred to them as "teachers of the law".

When people referred to Jesus as "The Teacher", it was simply "Teacher".

So, I'm sitting here typing, wondering what I am to see, and why this is "bugging" me so much...

...I start thinking...

...and looking...

...and waiting...

...and suddenly, I think I see...

Am I being a "teacher of the law" to those around me (especially my own children), or am I reflecting the "Teacher", being Jesus Christ?

Are the rules, guidelines and expectations I am setting those of "religion" or "relationship"?

Am I judging and over-bearing like the Pharisees or am I merciful and forgiving like the "Teacher"?

Am I portraying a "stiff-necked-vengeful-lighting-rod-striking" portrait of God, or am I portraying the kind of Father God, Abba Father, Papa, and Daddy God that I can go to EXACTLY as I am, knowing I can be all dirty and full of mud, yet still crawl up on His lap, as He wears the whitest-of-whites, robe of righteousness?

I am listening to a 6 disc CD series by Dave and Kris Toyne, called "Experiencing the Father's Heart." Man, it's good. I told one of my blogger friends today how I have scabs starting to peel away, leaving my wounds wide open, yet I'm o-kay with that because I know God can AND WILL heal them.

I'm in a "good place", even though it's a little painful.

We have churches FULL of Wounded Christians who operate like "Teachers of the Law" because they don't truly know the heart of Papa God. I understand a little more of why I react the way I do. I understand a little more why I can be in a church of wonderful, loving Christians, yet still feel like I don't belong. I understand that it's not their issue...

...it's mine. I can say I know God loves me...

Yet do I really believe it? Do I really believe that I can crawl up on my Heavenly Father's lap, with dirty and muddy clothes on, and know He'll love me and hug me and hold me close, even though He is the KING! Do I truly KNOW that He is 100% approachable? Do I truly KNOW His love for me doesn't depend on what I do or what I say? Do I "KNOW, KNOW" that God is NOTHING! like my earthly father?

So...back to the "Teacher".

Yes, I have been a "teacher of the law" because I truly don't know how to grasp and grab onto this incredible love that Father God has for me. I am "teaching" and "reflecting" God from what I know...Head knowledge, but not heart knowledge.

Don't get me wrong. I've had amazing experiences with God, but I don't even think I've begun to touch on what He really has for me. I don't think I have even begun to comprehend what it means to be His daughter, royalty, an heir to the throne, and to be the daughter of the KING...the King who is approachable, and loving, and who will drop everything just to spend time with me...His girl.

Quite a concept, huh? Looks like I'm in for an incredible journey of learning what this looks like...

So, once again, feel free to take the journey with me...and thanks again, for taking the time to read my thoughts-

"
"Rabboni!"

"Teacher!"

"Teach me how to be more like You!"

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Heaven, I just loved this post. It's right on, we don't want to be legalistic, but we want to teach people about Jesus. Good writing today!

Beverlydru said...

This is a powerful post. Piercing truth expressed with clarity and grace.
I love the name "Papa God". I had been calling Him that for a time when we had a missionary speak who ministers in Africa. She began in that tongue and I heard "Papa God" in the midst unitelligible garble. I asked her about it later and she said that is a term of great reverence and honor in that culture. Love it.

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely reminder of our God's care for us. Thank you. I hope I can be the right kind of teacher to my boys.

Karen Hossink said...

Sounds like the Teacher is teaching the teacher (you!) about the Teacher. What a wonderful lesson you are learning.
He is all those things you've said, and He loves you more than you can fathom. Yes, crawl upon His lap with your muddy clothes, and learn from Him. *peaceful sigh*

Tracy said...

Hey Heaven,
I was just thinking about you this morning too.
Happy Birthday to Dylan.
Tracy

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...