June 23, 2009

Training Ground...

I recently started excercising...

Not only did I start water aerobics with a friend, but I've also been exercising my thoughts.

Well, more like training...I recently started training.

My appetites are out-of-control: physically, spiritually, and emotionally.

It recently dawned on me that as long as I continue to do the same things over and over, I will continue to have the same results over and over. Now, this is rather obvious to the person who isn't very "hard-headed"; however, I tend to be very "stuck" in my ways...or should I say "have been stuck in my ways in the past" (as my words are another area of training ground for me).

My flesh totally has to be reigned in because I'm allowing it to reign over me! As a daughter of the King, I am allowing myself to be enslaved by all of these things that have no authority over me, yet I lay captive like a dead dog with no position or power.

I get very overwhelmed by the "big picture" of life, so I have to have it broken down in steps in order for the "big picture" to work in my life. It's just the way (at least for now) that my mind operates. I actually see the "big picture" and immediately declare defeat over the situation because there's "TOO much to do to "get there"...

So in reality, it's not the way my mind works, but rather the way the enemy plays on my emotions so I will "play dead" before the "game" even begins.

Physically, I am a 350+ lb. woman who is usually too tired to enjoy life. Over the years, I put on the weight as protection, to keep people away. Recently, I realized "I really, really LIKE people, and I want to be around people!" And truth be told, I really hide behind this computer screen TOO much because readers see my heart, not my weight. I am tired of being afraid to live! I am tired of not being able to run and play with my kids! I am tired of wearing overly huge clothes to try to hide the layers of fat rolls protruding from my body!

So, I started water aerobics, and started keeping a food diary of what I am eating. The big picture is that I want to be physically healthy. I am simply taking two steps toward that goal right now. THAT I can do! The big picture, no, but two steps, YES!

Emotionally, I choose depression and isolation as my "choice feelings". Not necessarily because I like them, but they are comfortable "clothes" to wear. They are the "shoes that have been broken in" and the "puzzle that has been put together a million times blindfolded". Do you have any clue how easily it is to keep people away when you are depressed??? NO ONE enjoys being around depressed people, not because they don't care, but because most of the time, they have NO idea what to do or say to make the depression go away!

And golly gee, have you ever tried to get through a "wall" an isolated person puts up? NOT very easy at all! But see, there seems to be a problem with these emotions because remember what I just said, "I realized I really, really like people, and I want to be around people!" Emotionally, there needs to be exercising of my mind and therefore, the training begins because I HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE MIND OF CHRIST AND CHRIST LOVES PEOPLE...

Don't even get me going on my spiritual life!!! Golly gee willikers (spell checker went wild over that one!)...

Being a Christian should NOT involve turning back or giving up! (in the fight of life anyway). The armor of God, as described in Ephesians 6, includes:

1) Helmet of Salvation
2) Sword of the Spirit
3) Breastplate of righteousness
4) Belt of Truth
5) Feet fitted with the gospel of peace
6) Shield of faith

NO WHERE in that passage does Paul explain a piece of armor for our backside! There's no "butt cushion" for when we don't feel like fighting anymore. There's also not a shield for our back to protect arrows from piercing our heart from behind.

If we were meant to turn back or give up in battle, there would have been spiritual armor analogies for those body parts, because when we are called into battle, we are given all the artillery and armor that we need to encounter the enemy.

So, let me ask you this question from Galations 5:7-8...

"You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you!"

And remind you of this from Ephesians 6:13...

"Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, TO STAND!"

Let me take you to Joshua 1:2...

"Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them , to the Israelites. I will give you EVERY place you set your foot, as I promised Moses."

...And Joshua 5:14-15

"...Then Joshua fell face down to the ground in reverence, and asked him, 'what message does my Lord have for his servant?' The commander of the Lord's army replied, 'take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.' And Joshua did so."

These are the verses God has taken me to lately in my "training manual", His Holy Word, the Bible, as I train for this chapter of my life. I am also reminded of the "if/then" themes throughout the Bible.

If you do your part, then God will do His. God doesn't NEED our help in order to do His part. He ALONE is God! But I believe there are times where He challenges us to LIVE out those things we say we believe in.

He says, "If you give me your false pretences about how YOU think I should handle this situation, THEN, and only then, can I TRULY show you exactly what I can do!"

And we know that God says...

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts!" Isaiah 55:8-9

So, let me ask you one more question...How can you move one step closer to God today and to step into the calling He's laid before you???

IF you "go there", THEN God will totally blow your socks off and show you HIS power in your situation!

One final thought from God as told to Joshua...

"...Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified, Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with your wherever you go!" Joshua 1:9

9 comments:

Kelly said...

This is a great post Heaven, and I hope you stick with it! Losing weight is very hard and can depressing in and of itself. But I know you are a dedicated woman, and if you put that "hard head" to it, you'll succeed.

Did you know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different response? It really is! LOL! (I'm just saying!)

Be Strong & courageous Heaven! Go, go, go!

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

The "butt cushion" totally cracked me up!

I know exactly how you feel- I deal with things in the same way. I put on about 40 pounds after my affair, because I didn't want people looking at me or noticing me. I also chose depression and the aura of helplessness that comes with it to keep people away.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you are taking steps to move forward in disciplining your mind and your body. I would totally do water aerobics with you if I could! I'll be praying for you!

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

P.S. Some great cookbooks that have helped us out with food are Eating for Life (part of the Body for Life program) and the Biggest Loser Cookbooks. I also like the Weight Watchers online recipes, and I try to prep all our snacks for the week on Sunday so we can grab and go.

christy rose said...

Lean on His grace to empower you! It is sufficient for your every need! Speaking to myself here too! HAHA

Pinkshoelady said...

Hi Heaven,
I love your name!
I just came over from Edie's blog at Rich Gifts and have read this post. You are a treasure from God and I believe with His grace He can set you free from the desire to hide. I know because that was the road I was on too. Hiding behind ever increasing weight. Even though I am only about 30 pounds over weight at the moment it is from hurts and wanting to hide. What you say we play Seek and Seek together. We can encourage each other to seek God and let other's seek Him through us!
I'll come back soon.
Pamela

Amanda said...

I have tried to comment 2 times and my computer has shut down both times... I am sorry!
I LOVE this post. I think everyone needs to read it. Especially if they are Christian!
I would also consider myseld overweight, but have decided to wrok out for the simple fact that..
..it is KILLING my testimony! People dismiss me because of how I look... they don't get to hear about my (our) Amazing Savior because they can't get past that 14th roll of fat on my belly.

I started The Shred and thought I couldn't it...but then Jillian says, I have 400 lb people doing it, so can you...and I did it! I have been doing it for 2 weeks and have gone down 2 jean sizes!

Anywho... great blog...amazing thoughts and perspective. I am rooting for you! I am your faithful sister in Christ and believe in you!
You can have victory in Him!!

God bless-
Amanda

the story of us said...

:) i found you through another blog and really enjoyed "lurking" around on your site! :)
i also sent you an e-mail! :)
keep up posting your thoughts - they are GREAT - and very encouraging.
:)

Debbie Giese said...

this is so good and insightful. I just read this one and the one after it, so I might be getting my thoughts fused, but I am so glad you are stepping into your life. It takes a lot of courage to name what is holding you back and tackle it head on. I am proud of you. I wish I was your IRL friend just a little bit closer.

We had a good speaker at a meeting this morning and she talked about things we need to fast from in order to reach deeper in our relationship with God. I will assume that as you are taking a break from the cyber world you are doing well in the real one. I will be praying for you. I will not send the po-lice to your house, lol, if I don't hear from you in a while. Just remember that I am your IRL friend and if you need anything or want to chat you will call. Take care, girlfriend. Start living the life you were called to live.
Love,
Debbie

Debbie Giese said...

Ok, that should have read you should call, not you will call. Although I am a little bossy...

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...