March 4, 2009

Open Windows

Last night when I put one of my children to bed, he told me that there was cold wind blowing through his window. He always keeps his curtains closed, yet that was one of the windows that I didn't put plastic on this year. It was cold out, but I decided to check it anyway. Lo and behold, his window was open about an inch. No wonder it's cold in his room! After trying to figure out why it was open, we concluded that he didn't shut it all the way the last time he decided to call me through the window (which was about 2 weeks ago). We shut the window, he slid under an extra blanket of warmth, and dozed off as his room began to warm up.



I had a dream last night about the windows in my home. I've been trying to dismiss it because of our incident last night, yet I feel like I am to explore it more. In the dream, there were 4-5 windows that were open about an inch. However, I didn't realize it because the shades were down. The windows weren't locked and secure, and therefore, someone from the outside had opened them. I went around my house, and locked each window, but I remember being amazed that these windows were open because until I examined them close-up or intentionally checked them out, I had no clue they were open. Then I woke up...

As I said before, I am listening to "Get out of the pit" on CD by Beth Moore. God has been showing me that I need to live life deliberately, meaning I need to be aware of my thoughts, actions, attitudes, etc. I need to make conscious choices throughout my day to go in the direction God wants me to go. I need to immediately take all my thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ. I need to be mindful of the schemes of the enemy, so that I will not fall into the traps he tries to lay before me.





1 Peter 5:8
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Ephesians 6:11
Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.

Windows...God showed me that just as I had to look for the "spider webs" in my children's lives, as well as my own, I also needed to check the spiritual windows of our lives.

There are ways we allow the enemy into our lives, which gives Him a right to hang out and create havoc. Most often referred to as "open doors", we can be unaware that that they have even been left open. How does this happen? It can be as simple as the music we listen to, the movies we watch, actions, unconfessed sin, the words we speak, unforgiveness, and bitterness to name a few. Or as complex as generational curses and things in your ancestry. I am not going to dive into this too much, but I would be more than happy to suggest a few resources if desired.

As the spiritual head of my children, it is my job to seek God regarding the spiritual temperature of our home. It is my job to pray, pray, pray for my children. It is my job to speak life into their lives, and also declare their futures and destinies into God's hands. It is my job to pray spiritual protection over them, and to limit what comes into this home.




I need to ask God what spiritual windows are open in our lives, and then in prayer, close them, lock them, and refuse to open them again.

Life is a journey and not meant to be an overwhelming task. Rome wasn't build in a day, and neither were we. For me, it's taken me 33 years to get to where I am today, and changes don't happen overnight.




~Father God, show us the "windows" we've left open in our lives in which we've given the devil a foothold. I thank you that You do not show us these things to overwhelm us and discourage us, but so that we can deal with them, and move on in the things of God. Show us one thing we can do today to be active in shutting these windows. Place your protection around us and around our homes and families in the name of Jesus. We are yours, and greater are You in us than he that is in the world! Teach us to deliberately live life. Teach us to be aware of the thoughts we are thinking, and quicken us to take any thought not glorifying to You captive according to 2 Corinthians 10:5. Expose the lies and schemes of the enemy so that as we put on the full armor of God in Ephesians 6, we would be prepared and ready to stand. Lord, you have given us all the tools to fight the good fight and the spiritual battle in our lives. Open our eyes and our ears to hear from You today...In Jesus' matchless name, Amen

(images taken from www.creativemyk.com)

12 comments:

Tracy said...

Right On Heaven!

B His Girl said...

It is a good idea to check the windows. Interesting dream Heaven. Amen to the prayer. B

My ADHD Me said...

What a great post!

I read the book Get Out Of That Pit. It is a great book and I also keep it on my shelf to refer to every now and then. Hope it helps.

I've been away from my computer a lot lately. I just saw the poem you wrote and left a comment. Thank you so much! You really are a kind person. :)

Amy said...

Awesome post!!!!!!!!

From the Heart said...

Thanks for your visit. Please feel free to come anytime.
I love your post. I'm in my late 60's and God is still teaching me. I've learned (after having so many health issues since my 20's) that I do not have to accept what the enemy tries to put on me. We, as blood bought Christians, have the authority to cast him out in the name of Jesus. He can no longer touch my body because I've learned to tell him no, I refuse what your trying to do. Your post gave me food for thought and confirmed that I'm not the only one who has battles to fight. But as the Lord said "the battle is not ours, it's His." We just have to commit totally to His authority and He will do the rest.
Blessings,
AliceE.

Tonya said...

I love this post! I am going to do an inventory and check to see if I left any spiritual windows up.

The Zastrow's said...

Hi Heaven,

This is Claire, you made a comment on my blog the other day and I just thought I'd follow up with you!

We are the family moving in with the Rigelsky's! I can't wait, we are all so excited!

Hope you have a great night! ~Claire

Anonymous said...

OKay I read it tomorrow can u mae it shorter.. I have ADD and reading isn't my biggest quality.. I get bored very easiy.... Just kiddin love ya bunches n bunches.. Have a great night and weekend... I think your writing is wonderful you have a lot of growth...

Edie said...

Very good analogy Heaven! Looks like God is working and you are listening. :)

Leaon Mary said...

I know, I was so supposed to be here this moment. To read this, and glean from your eyes/and dream.
I'm going to email you and tell you something.
check your mail k?
lea

Kelly said...

Wow - this was awesome. As a mom, I can so relate to praying for your kids, and I love your analogy with the windows. Excellent writing today!

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

Great analogy!! I always view Satan as a thief creeping in the night or day to wreak havoc, so the open window illustration reminds me of that. Awesome post- Blessings, Lindsey

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...