March 1, 2009

A gift from Colorado AND its Life application...

I have the most awesome friends in the whole wide world!!!





I have a childhood memory that I have tried to explain to my children for years, but no matter how hard I've tried, they could not grasp what mommy was talking about,
UNTIL...

This came in the mail on Friday...


ALL THE WAY FROM COLORADO!!!


TUMBLEWEEDS...



I was forewarned this box was coming, so when it arrived, I made a big deal about the surprise inside. Yes, my boys were surprised alrightie, but not quite the way I had hoped.


See, I grew up in Colorado. Not the pretty mountain side, but the flat, dusty, & tumbleweed-filled side, 30 minutes from the border of Nebraska. We constantly had sand storms, and "tumbleweed storms", along with being able to watch tornadoes on the ground in the distance of 30-40 miles away. My kids understand the tornadoes, they also understand the sand storms, but they couldn't grasp the concept of tumbleweeds, let alone the swarms of these caused by the wind.
Ya'll, it was definitely the coolest childhood memory I had...
So, thanks to my wonderful friend, we now have a tumbleweed here in Wisconsin. Now that it has arrived, I cannot get rid of it...It cost $10 to ship this lightweight weed, and I cannot justify throwing it out, SO............
I have a tumbleweed in my living room...
on display for others to check out...
maybe I could charge admission...
...yet the only ones interested in seeing my tumbleweeds would be cousins who grew up in CO with me, who also have tried to explain their tumbleweed stories to relatives, friends, spouses, and children. My cousin, Tonjia, is going to bring her husband to see it. My sister is going to bring her kids to see it. Someone said I should shelac it and decorate it as a tree....don't know about that one:)
But...
...maybe I could charge admission...
On Tuesday, I will be tying this story in with a situation I am currently dealing with, but for today, I just wanted to have fun. If you have never seen a tumbleweed storm, you have to watch these YouTube videos. They are short, plus it will lay the groundwork for my next blog post! Enjoy and see ya Tuesday!!!
Check this out!!!



Tumbleweeds come in all shapes and sizes




They can be fun...or not so fun...

See ya Tuesday!

5 comments:

Tracy said...

That's funny! Tumbleweeds used to scare me when I was a kid. I would watch them blow around on them old western movies and be scared to death. Don't ask me why. I still haven't figured it out.

The Rigelsky Family said...

cant wait...

Amy said...

wow. I'd love to see that in real life sometime!

B His Girl said...

I'll wow that too! I have never seen such a sight with weeds. I hope your yard is not full of them : ) B

Anonymous said...

WHOA, wait just one small minute... I think you should revise your blog here.. NOT once did I ever say I was coming over to see that horriffic thing.. I unlike you do not see a thrill with those ghetto weeds. I have horid memories of those tall annoying finger prickers. I hate those ghetto weeds.. I only laughed at the fact she wasted the money to send a lightweight prickly weed.. YAY WEED... Seriously do you not remember picking them up as they filled our yards worse then leaves.. Do you not remember those owies they left on our fingers.. thistle slivers... SOrry hun but you can count me outta coming to VIEW your tumbleweed...I can see them in my head if I cse my eyes.. I am seriously glad that you found happiness in this mail.. Rejoice and be glad for you have blessed with a tumbleweed... you lucky girl.. love ya... that is seriously funny though.. gotta love celena for sending you that great gift.. hugs...
your sista

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...