April 7, 2009

The B-I-B-L-E...

Ever notice how your mood changes when you are not plugged in the Word of God, the BIBLE, that is??? Ever notice how your peace tends to fade if you do not renew yourself with the Word of God?

Personally, I become more agitated, irritable, worrisome, restless, "snappy", withdrawn, and carry a sullen countenance. Little things bother me, and I don't feel like joy is radiating from within. I go through my day with an, "is this all there is to life?" attitude, and often wander aimlessly throughout my day. My thoughts become congested, which in turn feeds depression and poor attitudes. Productivity consists of simply doing the routine of the current day, instead of embracing and soaring higher into the day God has planned out for me.

You can wake up and predict everything that will happen that day, because your life has become mundane and dull... Or at least if you may not predict events, you at least "know" something unpleasant will happen today, simply because that's "just life", just the way it is.

You wake up,

go to work,

take care of the kids,

clean,

make supper,

go to bed.

Wake up and do it all over again!

When I take the time and read the Bible, God SHOWS UP and speaks to my heart: sometimes with a gentle whisper of comfort and other times, with a nudge of correction, but HE ALWAYS shows up! There is something wonderful about starting your day with the Word of God.

There are days when I don't start out my day with Bible reading, and some days I don't read it at all. (Oh no!!!)

Does God still love me? Absolutely! Am I still going to heaven? Absolutely! (only because Jesus is my Savior) Am I missing out on something that God may have tried to tell me? Absolutely!

Not reading my Bible doesn't make me a "bad Christian"; it simply means that I 'm missing out on the guidance, encouragement, wisdom, or direction I may have needed for that day.

Now God will speak in other ways (i.e. radio, songs, other people, etc.), but there is something so personal about looking in the Bible with millions of scripture verses, and God pointing out the perfect passage that you needed at that moment. It strengthens your faith because God is ALIVE to YOU in that moment. God is showing YOU that HE loves YOU and wants to speak to YOU. It's truly a personal moment, and no one will "get" that moment quite like you, no matter how you try to explain it, because God PERSONALIZED it for YOU, His son or daughter!

Nothing like a "date" with Papa God!

So, do I read my Bible everyday? No

Am I missing out on what God has to say? Most likely

Does it affect my day (and my peace) if I do not read my Bible? Very much so.

Does it feel like God is drifting away from me if I don't read my Bible? Yes, but He's not the one drifting--I am.

Now, a side note for those people plagued with the "RELIGIOUS SPIRIT":
~I'm not saying don't read your Bible.

I'm simply being honest enough to say that I do not sit down and read my Bible everyday, hopefully releasing other people from condemnation because they are being hammered with the lie of "I am not a 'good' Christian".

Sometimes, I listen to only worship music or Christian radio.
Sometimes, I listen to teaching tapes.
Sometimes, I sulk all day and do nothing.

If you want to get to know God, READ your Bible, even if it's one verse a day!

If you want to defeat the enemy, memorize and QUOTE scripture, even if you have to have it on an index card.

If you want to hear God, then SIT QUIETLY and BE STILL long enough to hear His sweet and gentle whisper.

This is simply my honest journey in life... it truly does make a difference to read and seek out the Bible on your own. I know if I'm feeling a little bit "off", it's because I need to be in the Word of God, where He wants to fellowship with me.


For the word of God is living and active.
Sharper than any double-edged sword,
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit,
joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts
and attitudes of the heart.

I visited Karen at Surviving Motherhood this morning, and she had this video posted. It is beautiful! The song talks about how Jesus knows your name and fits in with having a relationship with Him. I hope you are touched as deeply as I was!


God's Word is alive and waiting for you (and me)!!!




3 comments:

The Rigelsky Family said...

hilarious..this is just what i needed to hear today. :) amen

Karen Hossink said...

I am so glad God's love for me doesn't depend on what I do, i.e. read the Bible.
BUT, I am so glad He gave us His Word so that I can grow in my love for Him as He speaks to me through it.
Thank you for the grace and hope you hold out in this post.

B His Girl said...

His mercy is new for us each morning regardless. We cannot earn His love. That's comforting to know. God speaks to us in His word and in many other ways. I am posting a story later this week about one of those times. My prayer is that we are hungry for Him. B

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...