January 23, 2010

Alcohol



"Don't always think that the people who "LOOK" like
they have it all together have no clue where you
are in life...because most of the time, those people
have walked th
e same path....
just in their own pair
of shoes!"

Heaven S
parks



"Everything is permissible"—
but not everything is beneficial.
"Everything is permissible"—
but not everythin
g is constructive.
1 Corinthians 10:23


I have meditated on this verse several times through my life concerning the things I have had to overcome, especially after God delivered me from my addiction to alcohol.


For ME, drinking alcohol is NOT an option!

Is it permissible? I believe so. Is it beneficial? For ME, absolutely NOT!

I LOVE the taste of alcohol...beer, whiskey, vodka...I truly do. There are many controversies regarding the consumption of alcohol as a Christian and I'm
not EVEN about to get into them on this post. For ME, because I love the taste of it, because of my past, and because I EVEN like the way it makes me feel, I CHOOSE NOT to drink it!

"Well, that doesn't really make sense! You like the taste of it...You like the feel of it...yet...you won't drink it???"

Yeppers! You heard that correctly:)

For ME, it is NOT beneficial! Alcohol turns me into a person that I once used to be, and I don't like to be that person. Well, don't get me wrong; it was fun being drunk! I had the self-esteem of a woman who cou
ld do anything. I could talk to anyone! I could dance anywhere with complete strangers! I was funny and rocked the house with Karaoke! When I was intoxicated, I liked being that person AT THE MOMENT! I love the high I got because alcohol made me feel more attractive and more confident!!!



Soooo...that is why I DON'T drink now...

Becaus
e I liked it!


Still doesn't make sense? I know.

That's what God does. After awhile of being in a relationship with Him, He changes you. Things that used to excite you and used to make sense in your life, don't seem to make sense anymore...yet it makes perfect sense...and it'
s ok...

About 4 years ago, I spent the night with some friends while we drank, played cards, and got high. I woke up the next day...sick to my stomach, had a headache from hell, two little boys who needed a mom
my who had an apparent hangover, full of regrets because I TOTALLY BLEW 4 years of sobriety and 10 years of being clean from drugs and I hated the reflection I saw in the mirror...

I remember going through that day with regrets and shame. I wanted so much to be who I WASN'T anymore, that I denied who I was...I believe I went another week (ha!) trying to get high and make myself "be" that person again (without guilt!), but...

... in the end...

...I was who I was...

Even as I tried convincing myself that I was still that same "party animal", I KNEW that I had said "good-bye" to that life years before...therefore, beginning the journey of trying to love the new woman I had become... started...

I am finally able to be a "dork" and have fun, and I don't have to have alcohol in my system to do it. I can write a song and sing it in front of an entire church with passion and everything in me...and without 1 drop of alcohol. I'm loved and liked MOST places I go, and I have gotten that response without being intoxicated. PLUS I can look at the reflection I see in the mirror without shame (and a hangover!)!!!

Hmmm....God is good!

7 comments:

sheila said...

i for one, think you are a pretty cool "dork"!!! a totally clean, totally sober "dork"! :) cuz, ya know friend, i really like you . . . !! :)

Kelly said...

Love this! My mom is an alcoholic. I can drink without issue, but I choose not to because of the pain & destruction I have seen it cause.

Good for you, and good for God!

Karen Hossink said...

I'm glad for your decision.
And I think you're a cool dork, too. *grin*

B His Girl said...

God has given you strength to live life the way He designed it. Keep going Heaven!

LisaShaw said...

I love your heart of transparency and the LORD loves you.

You are loved! You are special. You are HIS. Keep going in HIM dear sister.

Pat Thacker said...

Really good post! I can remember those days of partying til you drop and drinking all you could hold and I loved my vodka,but oh how happy I am to be free. I'm so glad you're still having big fun without the additives!!! God is so good!
Love ya

Ronel said...

I use to think I could still have a drink and be a follower of His word but for me I too have the tendency to go overboard..... so I would go months without drinking and then drink a bottle of wine or two (not good)... so I went into this year know I was done for good!!

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...