December 16, 2009

Remembering...

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about (remember) such things." Philippians 4:8

Remember- keep in mind, bear in mind, call to mind, cite, conjure up, dig into the past, dwell upon, fix in the mind, have memories, hold dear, keep forever, know by heart, memorialize, recall, recollect, refresh memory, remind, think back...

Awwww....how many times does your mind wander each day? What consumes your thoughts? Are there memories that you hold dear? Do you dig into the past to edify your "todays" or to haunt your "tomorrows"? What "fixed" memories do you meditate on? Are they keeping you grounded and focused on Christ or do they send you into a state of condemnation, leaving you bound for failure?

I used to have a problem with remembering. (And I don't mean the kind that comes with age- like forgetting)

I remembered and thoughts on the wrong things: past failures, mistakes, grievances, broken hearts, hurts, sins (my own and those of others), grudges, and so forth.

My mind used to wander quite often throughout the day. At the end of the day, my mind was exhausted, yet I did nothing strenuous. Have you ever had that problem???

I figured out that I allowed my mind to gravitate towards those negative things that sucked my energy. Note the word "allowed". We are to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5, yet how often do we "allow" our thoughts to take us captive.

Heavenly Father~

Today, I choose to remember what You've done in my life. I thank You that You are Truth! I thank You that You are noble, right, pure, lovely, & admirable! I thank You that You are the perfect example of all of those qualities. I thank You for giving me the "mind of Christ", and the power over my thoughts. Help me to think "excellence" in all I do, say, or think. Help me to develop an attitude of praise. May I meditate on Your word and become "fixed in purpose", not wavering to the left or to the right. I pray I would begin to start speaking to the champion in myself and in those around me, that we may rise up and become ALL that You would have us be. Most of all, may I remember where I've come from and the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for me on the cross that has gotten me to where I am today.

In Jesus' name, Amen~



Remembering on PURPOSE!

(This post was 1st published in Jan. 2009)

1 comment:

Tracy said...

What a beautiful post!!!
This was an area that I really struggled with. I am prone to "remembering," though I choose to forget what is behind!
Keep ministering Heaven!

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...