December 3, 2009

Be courageous!

"Be on your guard, stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13



A soldier needs courage which Websters defines as: the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.


Many times in the Bible, God's Word, we are instructed to be courageous. A synonym of courage is brave which has been defined as:to meet or face courageously, to defy, challenge or dare. possessing or exhibiting courage or courageous endurance.



When ever I read definitions like those of Courage or Brave, something from the deepest part of my soul rises to the surface as my heart longs to reflect those meanings. A "fight" awakens in me when I realize that I CAN "meet my circumstances courageously". A part of me becomes alive with that "fight" I usually don't realize I possess.



Soldiers aren't wimps! They are trained, equipped, and prepared for battle. They arm theirselves with artillery more than adequate for the battle they are about to face. A strategy is devised by getting to know the way of their enemy, and their plan of attack. There is a mind set that has to be meditated on and an attitude of defeat is NOT allowed. There is no turning back until they have conquered the mission before them.



Christians are God's army! Soldiers who are instructed to press on, run with perseverance, and to stand firm!



The problem I have found in my own life is my mindset. I usually am defeated before I even begin. I'm tired of that. I start on a mission, only to have the enemy say, "Boo", and I quickly retreat. Since when are soldiers supposed to be polite in battle? Since when do soldiers retreat when their enemy appears with a smoke bomb? Their mind HAS to be trained for victory and conquering!!! Their mind has to overcome the fear that they face. There is a point when the mission is "attack" without reserve, pause, or retreat.



A battle isn't fought through strength alone. The foundation of victory comes by strategy, action, and perseverance. I can imagine a soldier gets tired and weary. It's got to be exhausting to fight, BUT they go on because they know the victory is coming. They know the reason for fighting and they believe in what they are fighting for.



So, in this battle for my mind and going forward DESPITE what my feelings are, I need to girded and focused with an attitude of victory. So the next time my mind tells me this (as Saul told David in 1 Samuel 17:33): "You are not able to go out against this [giant] and fight him..."



I can reply as David did to Saul in the next three verses: "...When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, 35I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it. 36 Your servant has killed BOTH the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine [GIANT] will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God. 37 The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine."




Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...