July 2, 2009

Speak life!

Ephesians 4:29
Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it. (Amplified Bible)

Proverbs 12:18
Reckless words pierce like a sword,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Proverbs 18:21
The tongue has the power of
life and death,
and those who love it will eat its fruit.



When I first got my spider plant for Christmas a couple years ago, it was big and bushy and GORGEOUS! I loved it!!! Well, soon it's beauty slowly started to fade as it wilted, curled up, and dried out its leaves one by one. The problem was the location of it. It was too far away from the window to properly acquire the light it needed, and therefore, slowly faded away.


My friend, Jana, lived out in a farm house with tons of windows and plenty of light. Because it was wilting, she said she would take it for me (and bring it back to life). Long story short, it came back to me about 4 months ago and was basically dead. I was sad. Of course, it wasn't my friend's fault, it simply quit thriving.


I figured I would plant something else in it, and since I hadn't done my spring flower planting yet (I still haven't planted...um...nope, not one thing), I stuck it on my picnic table outside with the rest of my flower pots that needed something housed in it. I was cleaning my yard today, and you would not believe what I saw!


I wondered where my bunny wind chime went!!!


I also saw this

(a pot with old junk in it from last year
...and weeds from this year)




But what caught my eye...


was this...



MY SPIDER PLANT CAME BACK TO LIFE!!!


I NEVER thought I would see it again.
It's been sitting outside on my picnic table
with no shelter. It's been exposed to
wind, rain, and heat, and many storms lately!!!


But somehow, someway,
even though I gave up on it,
...it survived...
and is thriving.


It isn't as big as it used to be,
but it's beautiful...


Not because of it's outward appearance...

but rather, because of where it has been...

...the storms it has survived...

...and because God decided this plant...

...was going to live
...

...even though I gave up on it...

...when I thought it was dead...

...and when I THOUGHT it had NO potential!!!



Unfortunately, how many times have our thoughts, actions, or words decided that people in our lives were "goner's", that they were "lost" forever, that their mistakes were soooooooo huge that there was NO hope for them. If you are honest with yourself, you may find yourself thinking about that one person in your life now or in your past, who you secretly thought would NEVER "come around."


If our words (written or spoken) have the power to speak life or death, blessings or curses, then please tell me, "Why aren't we being more careful about what we say or write?"


(I'm speaking to myself as well!)


As I write, I think about words and "judgments" I have declared over my ex-husband, (whether just in thoughts, on paper, or outloud). God, I pray that you would take back the ground given to the enemy through word curses I have spoken over him, in the name of Jesus Christ. I pray they also would be broken.

So, Tony, if you ever find yourself reading this, I am sorry for declaring your failure for the past, present, and future, because Mr. Sparks, God has life for you, and until the day you take your last breath, God declares LIFE to your life!!! LIVE, WALK, and EMBRACE the life God has for you!!! I claim victory and success in your life. I claim freedom in your life. I claim wholeness in your life in Jesus Name!

Imagine what would happen if we all prayed and spoke like that often. Imagine how the world would change. Imagine if we did that as often as we could, (myself included) instead of trying to drudge up dirt on people, instead of trying to point out people's "flaws". Hmmm...

Just imagine....


6 comments:

the story of us said...

wow! :)
p.s. glad your kiddos are home - have a great weekend with them!

Wendy said...

What a great reminder....we aren't dead till God says we're dead!! It's His word over us that causes life, but I think it's our words over ourselves and our households that causes quality of life.

Tracy said...

Heaven,

I think this is the best post ever! Very powerful! I was on the edge of my seat. No wonder why words of encouragemnet are so supercharging to me, they speak life and make me feel loved.

I speak words of life over Tony too. Life to the fullest. Line up with the Word of God! Freedom and healing. Restoration and reconciliation. I speak wisdom and strategy over you in Jesus' name.

Hey, I haven't called you back,sorry. I am busy getting ready to go camping for 7 days with my entire family. We never all get together. I am also debating with atheists and it is very time consuming. So I may not call till I get back.

I kill my plants too. Philadendrons have a few lives I've noticed. :0)

debbie g. said...

So as I was reading this my mind was trotting ahead like it usually does. Here is the finale I thought you were headed to: sometimes we need the wind and the storms and the rain and a little sunlight too in order to come back to life. Sometimes the old creature has to die,endure those things, and then come back as a news creature, full of life. I like your thoughts too!

Heaven said...

Debbie, I like that too:) Awesome thoughts!

Kelly said...

Great writing today Heaven! Very deep, and so true. What a great reminder.

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...