January 7, 2012

Engraved and Tattooed

"See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; 
your walls are ever before me." 
Isaiah 49:16 NIV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Behold, I have indelibly imprinted (tattooed a picture of) you on the palm of each of My hands; [O Zion] your walls are continually before Me." (Amplified)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Look, I've written your names on the backs of my hands.

The walls you're rebuilding are never out of my sight." 
(The Message)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*ENGRAVE-
To carve, cut, or etch a design or letters into or
To impress deeply as if by carving or etching
Synonym: tattooed
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Have you ever gotten a tattoo? 
If not, I'm sure you know someone who has.


I know many people, including myself, who have gotten tattoos to symbolize their love for another person. I guess in a way, you could call it a "love wound". We choose to sit through the irritation/pain of a tattoo so that we have a "memorial" of a memory or a person. Years ago, I made a very spontaneous decision to get initials engraved on my body. I SOOOOOOO regret it now, as that person no longer holds that special place in my heart.



The verses above in Isaiah speak of God's love for His people in Israel. He wanted them to know that He wouldn't forget them because they were engraved into the palms of His hands. The verse before speaks of a nursing mother who forgets who baby at her breast, yet God will NEVER forget.

In the New Testament, Jesus bore "love wounds" for us.



This verse in Isaiah could also be true of Jesus' death and Resurrection on the cross. Every whip that tore open His skin was because of His love for you and I. Every drop of blood that was shed was for you and I. Every pound of the hammer driving the nails into His hands was allowed because He loves you and I. Every thorn that pierced Jesus' scalp was embedded for you and I. 


 Every breath of air He gasped for was for you and I.

Jesus had "love wounds" for us,
yet He will never regret it...
He will never say,
"Oh man, why did I do that?"
He will never deny you...
or say His sacrifice was a mistake...



Lately, I've been worrying and having anxiety over my kids, but God brought me back to this verse. If He loves me enough to let His only Son bear "love wounds" for me, wouldn't that mean He loves me AND my children enough to take care of us. Isn't God still big enough in our lives to take care of the small and big circumstances around us???



I've always told Dylan that he can't trust and be afraid at the same time. He has to choose to trust that God will keep him totally safe when he falls asleep, or else He chooses the believe the enemy's lies and is afraid. Trust and fear are opposites. He gets that and now is calling me to make the same choices. 


 "Mom, if you're afraid, you're not trusting..."

...hmmm...out of the mouths of babes...



Today, I choose to relinquish control of my children and place them back into the arms of my Heavenly Father who holds and can protect them better than I ever can. I choose to trust that God is still in control and still has a plan greater than I can ever imagine. I choose to believe that I will walk in the wisdom and counsel of God because I have the mind of Christ. I choose to stand with the sword of the Spirit in my hand, and quit cowering with fear and doubt. I choose to declare God's promises over myself, my children, my finances, my job, my house, our futures and God-given destinies. I choose to remember the "love wounds" my Savior bore for me, and to keep looking forward and up! In the name of Jesus Christ, I stand!



~engraved in His palms~

No comments:

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...