December 6, 2011

Attitude of gratitude...

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

I'm sure most of my Facebook friends can tell when I'm doing "good" emotionally and when I'm not. I tend to post more positive statuses when I'm doing "good", and disappear when I am not.

I'm doing "good" right now.

I have had mountain after mountain of trials over the past year, and it is nice to get a reprieve from those. The funny thing is though, that my trials haven't disappeared, but my attitude of complaining has.

I woke this morning being thankful. As I watched slow flakes fall and glisten in the air, I saw such beauty and I thanked God for His creation.

As I think about what has changed lately in my life, I realize that nothing really has...except ME.

My trust in God has exceeded heights I never knew was possible. I have come to lean on the One who holds my world in His hands. I have come to trust that He really does "have a plan for my future...to prosper me and not to harm me...to give me hope and a future."

Philippians 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God"

I used to think this verse meant to thank God for EVERYTHING, including the bad stuff. Although there is some truth to that, I suddenly realize I am to have an "attitude of thanksgiving/gratitude" as I present my requests to God.

For example: I do not have to be thankful that my checkbook is down to mere cents so close to Christmas, BUT I can be thankful knowing my Heavenly Father and perfect Provider has my finances covered. Some how, some way, He is still in control and I know He ALWAYS provides for my needs!

I do not have to be thankful for the trials my oldest child is going through, BUT I can rest in the fact that even though I am three hours away...God is beside Him. I can find peace in knowing that Jesus knocks on the door of his heart. I can have joy because I KNOW God also has my son's future in His hands.

Finances and my children...my two biggest sources of anxiety and fear...YET I can offer my praises to God because even though things look bleak in the natural, with what my eyes can see, I KNOW God is about to break through in the supernatural!

How do I know??? God has given me promises, though the Word of God, the Bible, about my finances AND my children's futures. He continues to point me to verses about prosperity and blessings financially. He also continues to give me verse upon verse about BOTH of my children serving the Lord, and about them BOTH having the peace of God.

So I can rest. I can be thankful. I can have peace.

And because of the daily time I spend with God, I can KNOW that I KNOW that I KNOW that He is FOR me, and not AGAINST me. I know I don't have to spend hours in anxious prayer time begging Him to take care of what I cannot. I just have to pray scripture back to God, scriptures/promises HE gave me, and KNOW that He is STILL God...and STILL in control of my future...

I encourage you to open your Bible to any of these verses listed, and really ask God what they mean, what they "look like", for your own life. Ask Him for promises you can stand upon during your tough seasons of life.

I pray that you will develop an attitude of gratitude in your life as you really realize that God is the Master Builder of your life, and He holds the blueprints of your life in His hands.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister! Pain is always pain but within the pain is truth and I can be thankful for the truth I DISCOVER in the midst of pain...I Thess 5:18....in every thing give thanks....enjoyed your posting this morning! So I can be thankful for the pain b/c it brought to me truth by divine purpose of God ... I often remind myself of Job and how God allowed the suffering to be Job's teacher of Truth! Have a blessed Tuesday ...

Anonymous said...

"Woooohoooo"!!! You go girl!! That is it "Attitude"! Heaven I am so filled up right now,I am so very happy for you!!! Nobody knows what it's like to suffer through dark fear and depression,unless they've been there! And I was,and God brought me,I know you feel the freedom and such peace and it get's better! I am overjoyed for you!! Love this post and I'm sharing it!
Love you Heaven and thanks for sharing :-)

Who am I Lord?

1 Chronicles 17:16 Then  King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you...